West 2016/17 Season Review: September – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

West 2016/17 Season Review: September

West’s first game in September saw them travel the short distance to the league’s surprise early leaders in newly promoted Irlam.  A huge crowd was on hand for the Friday night affair and they were rewarded with a sensational West display as they put the challengers to the sword.  West raced into a 3-0 lead thanks to a goals from Ash Woods, Matty Kay and Joe Shaw inside 37 minutes with the latter a sensational 40 yard lob of the keeper. The second half proved no respite for Irlam as Jonny Poizer added two, the second a sensational scissor kick volley, with Ben Woods scoring his first goal volleying into the bottom corner from a Scott Mason cross.

The goals continued to flow as West put then dispatched, title favourites, Runcorn Town at home 4-1 thanks to goals from Rick Gleave, Ash Woods, Matty Kay and Joe Shaw as they put on a wonderful attacking display in front of the supporters.

The only blip in the league came at West’s ultimate bogey ground as despite pulling a goal back through Ash Woods on 33 minutes, West conceded 3 times in the last 10 minutes as they fell to 1874 Northwich at the Barton Stadium on September 10th.  Three days later West made amends, as the rest of the north west was hit by torrential rain, West survived to put seven beyond Cammell Laird.  Again, West were three goals to the good by half time thanks to Ben Woods, Ben Steer and Rick Gleave. Ben Woods eventually completed his hat-trick in the second half as Jonny Poizer and Ash Woods also got amongst the goals.

West’s goalscoring form continued at home as they eased past Barnton in the first ever meeting between the two.  Joe Shaw and Ben Steer put West 2-0 up before Barnton pulled a goal back to ensure a nervy finish.  However two superb free kick deliveries from Shaw saw Ash Woods and debutant Dan Clarke both head home as they ran out 4-1 winners.

The final week saw a mixture of Cup fortune as West first crashed out of the FA Vase but registered their first ever win in the Manchester Premier Cup.  West headed to Barnsley, hoping for a good Vase run having gone out to the runners-up and winners in the last two seasons respectively, as they took on Penistone Church from the Northern Counties East League Division One.  Falling behind to a set piece West looked to be heading through thanks to goals from Matty Kay and Rob Black three minutes apart.  However Penistone drew level in the fourth minute of stoppage time and advanced thanks to a goal in the 115th minute as West finished with 10 players due to injury. Penistone Church then fell at the next hurdle as they were defeated at home to Central Midlands League side Sherwood Forest.

There was better news in the Manchester Premier Cup as West headed to Evo-Stik league side Radcliffe Borough with a very much changed side from the one that had been beaten at Penistone.  Despite falling a goal behind West rallied and won with the last kick of the game thanks to Ben Steer and a first ever senior goal for Georgi Whyment.