Match Report | Wigan Athletic Ladies 2-1 West Women – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

Match Report | Wigan Athletic Ladies 2-1 West Women

West’s league away day woes continued as we went down 2-1 to a hard working Wigan team.

Both teams went into the fixture needing the 3 points to start looking up the table, rather than down.

West started brightly enough, earning an early corner and having possession in the Wigan half. However, it was Wigan who had the first chance of the half, Claire in the West goal getting a strong hand to a shot to deny a certain goal.

The game was pretty end to end for the next 10-15 minutes, Amy Vyas almost getting through on a couple of occasions with some neat touches, and Rach Dunlop always looking to run at the defence, and started to be on the receiving end of some rough treatment from some of the Wigan players. She had a powerful low shot well saved by the keeper on 26 minutes, and then fouls on 29 and 34 minutes led to free kicks, both easily dealt with by the home team.

Wigan were enjoying decent spells of possession themselves, and West were guilty of giving their 11 too much freedom on the left. Her efforts on goal had been wayward, but she looked to pose a definite threat.

Half-time came around with the score at 0-0, and ended a pretty forgettable 45 minutes.

Two things continued from the first half in the opening stages of the second. Rach was fouled almost immediately, and West gave the Wigan 11 too much space. This time she hit the bar and West were lucky not to go behind.

On 52 minutes, West’s luck ran out. This time it was the Wigan 4 who was allowed far too much time and space. She let fly from 20 yards out, the ball going high above Claire and into the back of the net. 1-0.

Another foul on Rach after 63 minutes, this one quite a nasty one from behind, when it was clear Rach had beaten her opponent for pace. Nothing more than a quick word from the ref. It does seem to me that women’s football officiating has a different view on using cards compared to the men’s game.

On 67 minutes a mis-timed tackle in the West area resulted in a penalty to Wigan. Claire is sent the wrong way and the home team hold a 2-0 lead.

West continued to plug away. Rach putting a couple of shots wide, and Katy Wilman getting her head to a corner, but the ball glanced off her and away from goal.

Finally, on 86 minutes, Rach had the ball in the net, beating 3 defenders with her run, and just getting enough contact on the ball to take it past the keeper. 2-1

A glimmer of hope for West then, and suddenly a determination to get the ball, perfectly illustrated by a couple of amazing tackles from Katy Wilman. There was still no further breakthrough until we were awarded an injury time free kick. Caddy put a fine ball into the box, but a Wigan head was first to the ball to make an excellent clearance, and West were left to rue another patchy performance on the road.

Team: Jefferson (GK), Dolan, Wilman, Mason, Caddick, Bracegirdle, Kerr, Vyas, Jones, Hodges (Chalmers 74′), Dunlop.

Goalscorer: Dunlop

Attendance: 20