MATCH REPORT | West Women 8-0 Didsbury – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | West Women 8-0 Didsbury

West Didsbury & Chorlton Women strolled into the quarter finals of the Manchester Women’s Challenge Cup thanks to a 8-0 win over neighbours Didsbury.

It was a wet day at Brookburn Road as a constant drizzle made for tough playing conditions in the opening 45 minutes.  West were able to welcome Amy Friel, Orla Conlon and Hannah Mitchell back into the starting eleven whilst there was a first substitute appearance for new signing Vicky Lomas.

Rachael Dunlop fashioned the game’s first chance as she raced into the box, dancing round a challenge before seeing her low effort roll just wide of the post on five minutes.  Four minutes later Hannah Mitchell saw her effort tipped over the bar by the Didsbury goalkeeper as West grew into the game. The deadlock was broken on 15 minutes as Dunlop combined with Sophie Bracegirdle before crossing into Elizabeth Livesey to turn home.

It was 2-0 on 19 minutes as Orla Conlon’s inch perfect through ball found Livesey who stroked home for her second goal.  The hat-trick was completed on 32 minutes as Dunlop combined again with Bracegirdle on the right, her pull back from the bi-line picked out Livesey who converted for her 17 minute hat-trick.

West continued to create with Conlon going closest to the fourth seeing her effort just in front of goal roll wide of the post from a yard out as West went into the half with a commanding 3-0 lead.

The second half got off to a perfect start as Didsbury were robbed of possession in front of their own goal as Rachael Dunlop slotted home to make it 4-0 seconds from the kick off.

Dunlop wasted no time in adding to her tally as Bracegirdle found the West number 9 in space on the right hand side before racing into the box and sliding her effort into the near post beyond the Didsbury goalkeeper.

Just after the hour mark Dunlop collected a match ball of her own as Conlon’s through ball was again weighted perfectly into the striker’s path and she rounded the goalkeeper to slot home.  Dunlop’s hat-trick was completed in just the nineteen minutes to take her tally to 11 for the season.

West made wholesale changes, 10 in all, and it was two of these combined for the goal of the day as Chloe Spencer burst down the left and Vicky Lomas headed home from point blank range to cap off her debut with a goal to make it 7-0 on 72 minutes.  The eighth came on 87 minutes as Vicky Kerr’s corner found Chloe Spencer at the near post as she got the deftest of touches on the ball to turn it into the near post.

The full time whistle came soon after to confirm their place in the Quarter Finals of the Manchester Women’s Challenge Cup