MATCH REPORT | West Women 4-0 Curzon Ashton – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | West Women 4-0 Curzon Ashton

West Women made it ten wins in a row as they defeated Curzon Ashton 4-0 to reach the quarter finals of the Argyle Sports Cup for the first time ever.


West made three changes to the side that defeated Wythenshawe Amatuers two weeks ago as they welcomed back leading scorer Rachael Dunlop, Orla Conlon and Vicky Kerr into the starting line-up whilst there was a place on the bench for 16-year-old Abi Littler.


The visitors created the game’s first chance as Mya Holmes was denied on nine minutes by a superb last ditch tackle from Chloe Spencer in front of goal.  West responded on 14 minutes as Curzon goalkeeper Alex Moon was forced into a strong stop by Dunlop.  Two minutes later Moon was called into a double save as she again denied Dunlop before making an athletic save at her near post from Elizabeth Livesey.


The scoring was opened on 26 minutes when West were awarded a penalty after Dunlop was fouled one-on-one by Jessica Cooke. Captain Shauna Edmondson coolly stepped up and slotted home the penalty for her seventh goal of the season.  West almost doubled their lead on 31 minutes after some terrific work down the left from Spencer whose cross to the far post narrowly evaded the waiting Sophie Bracegirdle before Livesey curled an effort over from the edge of the area.


West continued where they left off in the second half and on 51 minutes came closer still to doubling their lead when Orla Conlon ‘nutmegged’ defender Olivia Chan, drawing out the goalkeeper before seeing her effort flash narrowly wide of the post. The second goal arrived on 53 minutes as a Curzon goal kick was headed back into the path of Dunlop and her effort squeezed under the goalkeeper.


The goal galvanised West as Dunlop turned provider to Livesey who fired a hard effort into the side netting. However, there was a rare chance for Curzon as Leoni Harland broke the offside trap but under pressure from Ellie Caddick could only curl her effort over the bar. Substitute Hannah Mitchell made it 3-0 with almost her first touch on 75 minutes with the move of the game as Bracegirdle rolled the ball into Dunlop’s path who skipped past the defender before pulling back into the path of the West midfielder to stroke home into the bottom corner.


West added a fourth with two minutes remaining when Dunlop was barged in the back by Cooke going away from goal and duly stepped up to convert the penalty.  West will now play Chester at home in the quarter finals on Sunday 10th March, 2pm KO.


Elsewhere, the Development Squad  bowed out of the GMWFL Division Two Cup at the semi-final stage after a 2-0 defeat away to Tameside United at Ewen Fields.