MATCH REPORT | West Women 3-2 Bury Women – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | West Women 3-2 Bury Women

West’s Women came battled back from a goal down to earn a 3-2 victory over Bury Women at Brookburn Road.


West started brightly as Leigh McFadyen forced the Bury goalkeeper into an early save pushing a hard effort onto her near post after just three minutes. West went close again as Ellie Caddick’s corner was drilled across goal and Captain Shauna Edmondson’s header flew just wide of the near post.


West continued to threaten after their quick start and on five minutes McFadyen went close again curling a first time effort just round the foot of the post.  The pressure was relentless as the impressive Vicky Kerr picked out Jami Hodges on the left with an excellent pass; the West winger drove into the box but she fired her effort just wide.  West took the lead on nine minutes when a ball was played into the feet of McFadyen whose lay off teed Chaneece Reeves and the West attacking player cannoned her effort in off the underside of the crossbar.


West were pegged back on 15 minutes however as an underhit back pass from Lucy Clarke caught out goalkeeper Claire Jefferson allowing the Bury forward to round her before pulling the ball back and it drilled beyond a helpless Caddick on the line.  The visitors took the lead on 29 minutes when the defence was carved upon, Jefferson was again forced to come out for the ball but it was knocked past her and rolled into the net.


Two minutes later Livesey saw a 35 yard free kick tipped over the bar following a superb save from the Bury goalkeeper. On 38 minutes West went close again as a superb cross from Reeves saw MacFadyen’s header fly just wide of the post. West were level just three minutes before half time as Edmondson drilled home a penalty into the top right corner having been tripped in the area.


The visitors created the second halves first good opening as Jefferson was forced into a finger-tip save down to her left to push a low shot round the post. At the other end Sophie Bracegirdle pass released Leigh McFadyen and she forced another good save from the Bury goalkeeper. From the corner Livesey put West in front as she powered home Caddick’s cross with the defender on the line unable to stop it going in.


Bury came back again and saw an effort deflected onto the post on 57 minutes before Reeves fired just over the bar on the hour mark.  Reeves went close again on 75 minutes as she raced down the left before firing into the Bury keeper’s hands.


West finished strongly with substitutes Emily Croasdale and Nat Callaghan combining as the latter connected with a cross from the former with the Bury goalkeeper again called into action. Bracegirdle would come close as she fired an effort just over the bar from 25 yards out.  Callaghan again went close when she headed over Kerr’s curled cross from the right with Jefferson again called into action when she was forced to push an effort round the post in stoppage time.


The players were deservedly applauded off at full time by the home support as they walked off the pitch.


Team: Jefferson, Caddick, O’Neil, Clarke, Livesey, Edmondson, Kerr, Bracegirdle, Hodges, Reeves, McFadyen.  Subs: Friel, Callaghan, Croasdale, Hartley, Ramsden, Joyce.


Goalscoreres: Reeves, Edmondson, Livesey.