Match Report | West Didsbury & Chorlton Women 1-1 Morecambe Ladies – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

Match Report | West Didsbury & Chorlton Women 1-1 Morecambe Ladies

The wet weather had wreaked havoc on our last 3 Sundays, so it was a relief for all to be back in action. The postponements had led to the league having to reorganise the fixture lists, and so we found ourselves at home to Morecambe Ladies, a National League Division One team last season.

The rain held off long enough to get a game on, but soon returned for pretty much all of the match. The early exchanges took place in the middle third of the pitch, with both teams feeling their way into the game. A decent Morecambe cross on 6 minutes was well held by Liv, representing the first proper foray forward from either team. She was quickly forced into action again on 8 minutes when a long range effort skipped up off the wet surface and was turned behind, the subsequent corner coming to nothing.

A trademark burst into the area by Rachael Dunlop on 12 minutes drew a mistimed challenge from a Morecambe defender, and West were awarded a penalty. She stepped up to take the penalty hitting it low and hard towards the bottom corner, but the keeper got down well, tipping the ball onto the post and out for a corner.

The middle part of the first half saw West have a couple more opportunities well saved by the Morecambe keeper, and at the other end, Liv and Woodsy combine to just about keep the visitors out.

The half looked like it was going to shuffle to a quiet end, with West the most disappointed following the penalty miss, but it got even worse for us as the defence momentarily switched off and a Morecambe effort from 20 yards is over Liv and in the back of the net. Other than this brief aberration, our defence had looked very solid, holding an excellent line, and Rach Mason looking particularly comfortable both breaking up play and distributing the ball to midfield. Still, we went in trailing 0-1 at half time.

The second half starts with another early scare for West. A free kick on 48 minutes is sent into the area and causes carnage in our defence, pinging about before it is finally cleared to relative safety.

Rach Dunlop was still looking the most likely to create something for us, and another fabulous run into the box brought another foul from a Morecambe defender for what looked as clear a penalty as you’re likely to see. Play on said the Ref!!

Things got a little feisty a couple of minutes later and the Morecambe 14 was sin-binned, presumably for dissent.

West had a rare chance on 61 minutes. A nice free kick, H shifting the ball out to Sophie on the right. The Morecambe keeper is on hand again however, as Sophie’s excellent shot is beaten away, nobody on hand for the 2nd ball.

On 63 minutes we made a change and we were delighted to welcome back Vicky Kerr following a knee injury that has kept her out for a number of weeks.

It was Morecambe who went close again on 67. A free-kick from just outside the area rattling the crossbar.

West spent the next 15 minutes plugging away without testing the keeper, and things were starting to look a little desperate. But then on 84 minutes we win a free-kick in a decent position to the left of the area. Vicky Kerr lifts a lovely ball deep into the area and Rach Mason controls, turns and hammers it past the keeper. An equaliser and a richly deserved reward for her following a strong defensive performance.

This lifted West for a final push, but there was to be no further breakthrough and we had to settle for a hard-fought point.

Team: Schilling (GK), Caddick, Wilman, Mason, Bracegirdle, Woods (72′ Hodges), Mitchell, Jones (63′ Kerr), Frisby (82′ Vyas), Livesey, Dunlop.

Subs: Dolan, Littler

Attendance: 30