MATCH REPORT | West 4-3 Stockport Town – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | West 4-3 Stockport Town

10-man West defeat Stockport Town with last minute winner

10-man West advanced to the First Round Proper of the FA Vase win a thrilling 4-3 win over Stockport Town.


West Manager Steve Settle handed first starts to Sam Parr and Declan Rydings as he re-shuffled the side that came from 2-0 down to beat Barnton in mid-week. There was also a return for Captain Mark Rogers in the place of suspended Kevin McGrath.

West got off to the best possible start when Joe Shaw rose highest to head home a Ben Steer corner after just six minutes.  On 12 minutes, Rydings put Steer through down the left before the winger cut inside and saw his efforted deflected into the side netting at the near post.

Stockport were dangerous in the final third for the entire game and levelled on 19 minutes when an excellent move down the left saw a low cross cut back across the goal allowing Ashley Stott to tap in from close range. Worse for West was to come as Harry Hagon was forced from the game on 24 minutes with a shoulder injury.


West re-took the lead on 30 minutes when Joe Shaw reacted quickest to a loose ball inside the six-yard box drilling into the bottom corner after Steer’s free kick.

Stockport responded and Aaron Ashley was called into action to make a terrific save down low to his left on 34 minutes. He was called upon again on 41 minutes when he again got down to his left and pushed a free kick round the post.  West went close again twice in the final stages as Steer saw his own corner headed off the line. Just before half-time a great through ball from Rydings saw a Saul Henderson well saved at the near post from the Lions goalkeeper.

The game turned on 50 minutes when Aaron Ashley appeared to have the ball kicked out of his hands. The loose ball fell to Stott whose hard effort was blocked on the line by Rogers. The referee deemed it a deliberate handball sending off the West captain. Ashley saved the penalty but Stott fired home the rebound.  West almost re-took the lead on 59 minutes when a great drive down the left from Steer saw his low cross tapped home by Bailey but the West forward was adjudged to have been offside.

Nic Evangleinos replacved the impressive Rydings and had an instant impact as he beat two men before forcing an excellent save from the Stockport goalkeeper.  West were effectively forced to play the last two minutes with nine as a horrific challenge on Shaw went unpunished, and with all their subs used, the West midfielder was forced to continue; albeit limping.  West re-took the lead through Evangelinos on 72 minutes when he reacted quickest to head in Steer’s corner at the near post.

On 87 minutes Stockport drew level when Aaron Dwyer fired home into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. However, with extra-time looming, a lovely through ball from Steer put Evangelinos through, his effort was blocked but Matty Kay was on hand to fire the rebound into the top corner to send the home support into raptures.