MATCH REPORT | Stockport Town 1-3 West – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | Stockport Town 1-3 West

West registered their first win of the pre-season calendar as they overcame a tough Stockport Town side 3-1 at Lambeth Grove.

Former West player Dave Short was the first to register an attempt on goal as his hard shot was well saved by goalkeeper Conrad Betton after just three minutes. The home side enjoyed the early stages but almost fell behind on 18 minutes when Nic Evangelinos burst down the left and his low hard cross was turned towards goal by the Stockport defender only to be denied by a superb save from his own goalkeeper.

West eventually took the lead on 34 minutes when the sensational Gary Lilley disposed the Stockport back line before burying his shot into the bottom left hand corner.  West finished the half strongly when Matty Kay worked a free kick low to Evangelinos at the edge of the area who saw both his efforts blocked.  From the goal West grew into the game and four minutes later almost doubled their lead when Chris McDonagh fed Tom Bailey only to be denied from the Stockport goalkeeper. From the resulting corner Bailey headed just over.


Just before the break a superb move down the right combining Kay,, Josh Tinker and Evangelinos combine before the winger supplied Chris McDonagh a simple tap in from the low cross to take a two goal lead into half time.

The second half was three minutes old when Stockport Town were awarded a penalty for a trip by substitute Michael Simcock. Goalkeeper Conrad Betton was more than a match of however as he saved well down to his right.  Two minutes later he surpassed that when he made a magnificent one-on-one save with his feet before diving on the rebound and claiming the loose ball with his third attempt.

Stockport eventually pulled a goal back in controversial circumstances as a free kick was whipped into the box and turned home despite strong appeals for handball along the way.

West responded on the counter and sealed the win when Tom Bailey picked up on a loose ball 40 yards from goal, hitting the inside of the post before Harvey Stott made sure, drilling the ball home to secure a 3-1 win.

Team: Betton, Tinker, Botchey, Bayunu, Rogers, Lilley, Stott, McDonagh, Bailey, Kay, Evangelinos. Subs: Simcock, Hagon, Weston, Whyment.

Goalscorers: Lilley, McDonagh, Stott.