MATCH REPORT | Eccleshall 1-2 West – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | Eccleshall 1-2 West

Saturday 10th November 2018, Macron Cup second round

Eccleshall 1 (Carr 36)
West 2 (Pearson 13, Woods 26)
Att: 62

West progressed to the third round of the Macron Cup for the first time since 2014 with a timely win against Eccleshall.

Kyle Pearson and Ben Woods opened up a two-goal lead before the half-hour mark, and though Bradley Carr pulled one back for the home side, West secured a first win in ten games.

Steve Settle’s side travelled to Staffordshire on the back of a nine-game losing streak in all competitions, but started confidently against their First Division South hosts. Ryan Crowther clipped the woodwork inside five minutes with a cross that almost drifted underneath the crossbar, and Matty Kay shot straight at the Eccleshall keeper after a corner was only half-cleared.

West only had to wait 13 minutes for the opening goal – neat play between Josh Tinker and Ben Woods led to Woods squaring the ball across the six-yard box, and Kyle Pearson timed his run to the far post perfectly to slide home his first goal in West colours.

The influential Woods added his own name to the scoresheet after 26 minutes when he ran through on goal and threaded the ball inside the far post to give West a commanding lead. At this point the visitors were rampant and only the linesman’s flag prevented Woods from doubling his tally when he volleyed home a Tinker cross.

But there was to be a twist – in a matter of moments, 3-0 turned to 2-1 as Eccleshall sprung into the West half and Bradley Carr shot past Marcus Burgess with the aid of a deflection. Carr’s goal appeared to settle the home side and the game became more even, although Matt Eckersley had the best chance before the interval when he headed Woods’ corner narrowly off-target.

West were left cursing the assistant referee almost immediately after the restart when, after Woods’ long-range drive was tipped onto the post, Kay was judged to have strayed offside before tapping in the rebound. But lightning was not to strike twice and West continued pushing for a decisive third goal – the impressive Pearson had a fierce half-volley tipped over the bar and substitute Lee Gavin headed a Woods cross over.

But West’s lead remained at one and Burgess was called upon in the closing stages when he smartly kept out a low shot from outside the area. Ultimately, though, West were comfortable winners and set up a last-16 tie at Barnoldswick Town in December.

West: Burgess, Tinker, Pearson, Foulds (Gavin 67), Potts (Cooper 79), Eckersley, Andrews, Roberts, Crowther, Kay (Tsegaye 75), Woods. Not used: Langford, Black.