MATCH REPORT | Curzon Ashton 2-4 West Women – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | Curzon Ashton 2-4 West Women

West Women made it six league wins in a row as they came from behind twice to beat Curzon Ashton 4-2 at Failsworth Sports Centre.

weltering conditions greeted both teams with West without Captain Shauna Edmondson and vice-Captain Vicky Kerr meaning a start for Jami Hodges in the unfamiliar position of defence. West were also without Amy Friel, Vicky Lomas and Abi Littler; the latter on international duty with England Netball.

Despite the absences, West started brightly as Chloe Spencer, playing on the left, picked out Sophie Bracegirdle on the right with a cross; with the West winger flashing her effort just wide of the post. Curzon responded with an off-target effort of their own before Orla Conlon shot wide herself on 7 minutes.

The home side demonstrated why they are the divisions top scorers as a clearance fell to a blue shirt with Leah Fish, in the West goal, fortunate to be able to claim the resulting shot off the foot of the post. The home sides persistence was rewarded on 20 minutes when a clipped over the top by captain Amy Smith picked out Nicole Thorpe who finished superbly as she chipped the onrushing West goalkeeper.

The lead last just three minutes as West responded when Ellie Caddick’s arrow of a free kick deceived goalkeeper Alex Moon curling over her and into the top of the net. It was Caddick’s first goal of the season to draw West level. West finished the half the stronger of the two teams as Hannah Mitchell a strong effort on goal fly just wide on the half hour mark.  Caddick tested the goalkeeper again with another excellent free kick before she again denied West as Rachael Dunlop saw her effort saved following West’s best move of the game.  Mya Holmes forced Fish into a strong save of her own with the half coming to close with Mitchell striking the post from Spencer’s corner.

After the restart Elizabeth Livesey almost gave West inside the first few seconds before Mitchell again tested the goalkeeper on 51 minutes after a patient West build up. Dunlop should have put West in front on 58 minutes but fired over after an excellent first touch.  It was Curzon who retook the lead on 67 minutes as Smith latched onto a loose ball over the top of the defence but it was turned home by Hodges who’d done terrifically to reach the ball first in the initial instance.

An immediate drink break and a switch to 433 brought an immediate response from West. From kick off, Livesey hit an inch perfect cross field pass to release Bracegirdle who raced into the penalty area before picking out Dunlop who steered it home first time from close range.  It was the West strikers 31st goal of the season.

West immediately went close again as Vicky Frisby raced through only to see her close range effort tipped onto the post by a superb save from the right boot of Alex Moon.  The West winner arrived on 76 minutes as another Caddick free kick became too hot for the Curzon goalkeeper to handle with Spencer reacting quickest to the second ball before turning it home for her 14th goal of the season.  The game was settled on 88 minutes as a superb run down the right from Dunlop saw her pick out Mitchell with the West midfielder rifling an unstoppable effort into the bottom left hand corner.

West’s final home game see’s them host Liverpool Feds Reserves next Sunday, 2pm KO, before the Development Squad host Swinton at 5:30pm knowing a win that will secure them the GMWFL Division Two title.

Team: Fish, Caddick, Wilman, Hodges, Bracegirdle, Spencer, Mitchell, Conlon, Frisby (Chalmers), Livesey, Dunlop.

Goalscorers: Caddick, Dunlop, Spencer, Mitchell.

Player of the Match: Orla Conlon