MATCH REPORT | Cammell Laird 1-2 West – West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC

MATCH REPORT | Cammell Laird 1-2 West

Saturday 28th September 2019, NWCFL First Division South

Cammell Laird 1 (Sambor 14)
West 2 (Steer 37, Grimshaw 68)
Att: 107

West dug deep to come from behind and claim a vital win against Cammell Laird.

Lee Grimshaw’s third goal of the season, midway through the second half, was enough to secure three points which lifted West into third in the First Division South. Kyle Sambor had given Lairds the lead early on before Ben Steer equalised shortly before the break, with the excellent Grimshaw’s intervention ensuring that West’s winless run ended at two.

As at New Mills on Tuesday night, rain had battered the Kirklands surface in the hours leading up to kick-off and this was reflected in a scrappy first half. James Cottee had the first chance of the afternoon when his shot was blocked at close range by home keeper Richard Cowderoy, but defensive problems that blighted West’s trip to High Peak in midweek looked to have returned as Lairds took the lead. A long ball was allowed to bounce in a dangerous area, and Sambor beat the onrushing Andrew Jones to the ball and had an easy task to open the scoring.

The visitors struggled to respond to the shock of going behind as an increasingly-ragged opening period continued, though Matt Eckersley did call Cowderoy into action with a looping header that was tipped over the bar. But West were handed an equaliser with a much-needed stroke of fortune eight minutes before the break – Steer’s cross from the left completely catching out Cowderoy, who could only palm the ball onto the post and into the net.

West looked to carry the impetus from Steer’s goal into the second period and were much improved after the interval. Grimshaw passed up a presentable opportunity just after the restart, and though Lairds eked out a couple of half-chances at the other end, the West number 7 grabbed the pivotal goal with the game’s first genuine moment of quality. An excellent interchange between Cottee and Matty Boland set Grimshaw free in the box, and Cowderoy was given no chance with an unerring finish.

The visitors seized the momentum after going ahead and could have made the scoreline more emphatic, with Cottee and Grimshaw both going close to a third. Lairds became frustrated in the closing moments and a Merseyside v Manchester clash that had simmered for long periods threatened to boil over when home substitute Michael Furlong was booked for a foul on Callum Jones, but West were ultimately comfortable as they saw out a timely win.

West: A. Jones, Cook, Cooper, C. Jones, Middleton, Eckersley, Grimshaw, Gavin, Cottee, Boland (Tinker 84), Steer (Sigsworth 62). Not used: Forbes, Holt, Moloney.

West media player of the match: Lee Grimshaw.