NWCFL Premier Division 
25/03/2017, 19:45
1 - 0
Abbey Hey
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 350
First Team

Match Report

West made it three wins on the bounce as they narrowly saw off Abbey Hey in front of 350 at Brookburn Road thanks to a 22nd minute Carlos Mendes Gomes goal.


With West down to the bare bones Carlos Mendes Gomes was recalled to the starting line-up coming in place of Scott Mason as Rick Gleave replaced the suspended Anthony Potts. On the bench there was a first appearance for youth team graduate Paul Earlan whilst there was a recall to the squad for Steve Brockley and Paul Socha.


The game’s opening moments we tight as both teams felt the other out in the early stages. West created the game’s first chance on seven minutes when Mendes Gomes cross along the box found Joe Shaw but his effort inside the area was blocked away.


West came closer to breaking the deadlock on 18 minutes when Josh Tinker’s throw in found Nicolaos Evangelinos at the far post but his header crashed off the underside of the crossbar. Two minutes later Shaw found Evangelinos again but he fired over first time at the far post. West’s pressure was rewarded on 22 minutes when Saul Henderson laid off a through ball to Evangelinos, playing in Gleave whose shot was blocked but only as far as Mendes Gomes who rolled it into the corner to give West a deserved lead.


West look to extend their lead as first Tinker headed over from a corner on 35 minutes before Gleave headed over on 38 minutes from a Mendes Gomes cross.  Abbey Hey’s first chance came on the stroke of half time as Joe Moore did well to evade a tackle before playing in Connor Martin whose effort was well held by Aaron Ashley at his near post to ensure it remained 1-0 at half time.


It took five minutes of the second half before West called the Abbey Hey goalkeeper Wynne Elliot into action as he pushed a hard effort round the post. The second half was a much tighter affair and it was 64 minutes before another chance fell to West when Henderson did well to turn in the penalty are before firing straight at the keeper.  Three minutes later Shaw did superbly to jinx past his marker but he too could only fire at the goalkeeper.  On 71 minutes Shaw went close again as he shot just wide from the edge of the penalty area.


As West legs tired in the heat it was Abbey Hey who grew into the game with Ashford Blake firing just wide from range on 74 minutes.  Abbey Hey’s pressure came in the form of set pieces as twice in the late stages they headed over from corners.  West might have wrapped up the points at the death when Evangelinos did well to take on his marker and find Henderson with a low cross but his first time effort rolled wide of the post but they weren’t to be denied as they claimed their first home win since January 7th.