NWCFL Premier Division 
18/03/2017, 15:00
Squires Gate
1 - 3
Brookburn Road
First Team

Match Report

West made it back-to-back wins for the first time since December as they overcame sodden conditions to beat Squires Gate 3-1 thanks to a Nic Evangelinos hat-trick.


Steve Settle made just one change from the side that beat Barnton the previous week as Joe Shaw returned to the side to replace the absent Matty Kay.


Despite the heavy conditions and standing water West made a bright start to the game creating the game’s first chance on 11 minutes when Josh Tinker found Saul Henderson holding it up before laying it off to Shaw whose first time pass found pain in Mason in space who rolled his effort just wide of the post. Four minutes later Evangelinos pounced on a loose Squires Gate pass forcing Squires Gate goalkeeper Andrew Speight into a strong shot at his near post.


West continued to impose themselves on the game as twice superb last ditch tackles denied the visitors good West moves down the wings. West went close again on 27 minutes when a curled cross from Shaw found Anthony Potts at the far post but he could only head wide. A minute later Evangelinos showed great strength to hold off his marker to turn but his shot was well saved by Speight.


The deadlock was broken on 35 minutes when Evangelinos latched onto a high ball from Mark Rogers, did superbly to round Speight in the penalty area before firing into an empty net. Squires Gate almost responded immediately as they swung in a corner with goalkeeper Aaron Ashley parrying away with the rebound blocked at close range to ensure West led at the break.


It took barely seconds from the restart for Squires Gate to level as, from the kick off, they broke down the left with a low cross from Charlie Walters fell to Potts but he slipped allowing Ben Saeer to finish from point blank range. West went down the other end and almost retook the lead with their next chance as Rogers fired over after more good centre forward play from Henderson.  It was Henderson who clipped the crossbar on 48 minutes when his cross almost deceived Speight.


West looked to retake the lead as Henderson headed a difficult chance wide on 54 minutes before a worked short corner was cleared off the line four minutes later.  Just after the hour mark Henderson broke the offside trap but his shot was fired into the side netting at the near post as the home players appealed for offside.


Squires Gate created a chance of their own on 72 minutes as Ashley made a good save at the near post. It should have been 2-1 to West a minute later when Josh Tinker delivered a terrific cross into the path of Henderson but he slipped as he went to shoot and the goalkeeper couldn’t get out of the way of his low effort.


Settle rang the changes as Jonny Poizer and Georgi Whyment replaced Shaw and Henderson.  The goal that was sort came seven minutes from time as a back heel from Tinker inside the penalty area found Evangelinos and his low deflected effort found its way under the goalkeeper to give West a deserved lead.


A minute later Evangelinos almost added his third as he turned away another hard effort. Nico wasn’t to be denied though as he latched onto Whyment’s pass before firing low into the bottom left hand corner to complete his hat-trick and a fully deserved three points for West in difficult conditions.