NWCFL Premier Division 
18/10/2016, 19:45
1 - 3
Atherton Collieries
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 116
First Team

Match Report

West succumbed to another home loss on a cold and wet night at home to Atherton Collieries.


There was a reshuffle for West with goalkeeper Andrew Robertson handed his debut whilst Ben Woods was drafted in at left back with Rob Black and Matty Kay returning to the starting line-up. On the bench there was a place for Carlos Mendes Gomes.


Colls led after just five minutes when they were awarded a free kick at the edge of the area after Anthony Potts was harshly adjudged to have committed deliberate handball.  Gareth Peet’s free kick took a deflection off the top of the wall but was powerful enough to find its way past Robertson to give the visitors the lead.


West responded well but fell behind to a second goal on 32 minutes when Richmond Bothchey was adjudged to have fouled Darhyl Mason at the edge of the area.  Dave Sherlock fired his penalty down the middle giving Robertson no chance to give the visitors a two goal lead.


West’s best chance of the half came on 37 minutes as a free kick was whipped in low to Ash Woods but he forced a superb block from Adam Reid at point blank range.  Moment’s later Ash Woods was involved again combing with Kay whose shots was deflected over.  A minute later Ash Woods went close again heading over unmarked.


The points were wrapped up in first half stoppage time as Ben Hardcastle went raced down the right, his cross was dummied by Sherlock and Brad Cooke drilled home the loose ball unmarked at the far post to give Colls a 3-0 half time lead.


To West’s credit they immediately upped the tempo in the second half and Kay went close with a 25 yard effort which flashed just wide of the post on 49 minutes.  A minute later a superb angled cross along the six yard box almost found the stretching Jonny Poizer but he couldn’t quite get on the end of it.


West pulled a goal back on 54 minutes after good work from Poizer saw him lay the ball off to Rick Ainsclough who slotted a superb effort into the bottom right hand corner from 20 yards out.  A minute later West almost halved the deficit as Kay’s goal bound effort was blocked before Ash Woods curled just round the post.


West searched for a second to try and bring them back into the match but the visitors defended well and might have added a fourth on 75 minutes when they clattered the crossbar with a header from a corner.


West finished strongly and should have had a penalty with eight minutes remaining when Ash Woods was pushed inside the area.  Two minutes later Woods was involved again forcing another top save from Reid in the Colls goal before superbly blocking from substitute Mendes Gomes inside the six yard box.  However it was too little too late as West slumped to yet another home defeat.