NWCFL Premier Division 
15/10/2016, 15:00
0 - 1
1874 Northwich
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 289
First Team

Match Report

A depleted West side registered their fourth consecutive home defeat as they succumbed to a 1-0 defeat against 1874 Northwich thanks to a 92nd minute winner.


West’s absentee’s, already affected by the long term losses of Mark Rogers, Gary Lilley, Lee Gavin and Michael Simcock, increased as Matty Kay, Rob Black, Rick Gleave and Scott Mason were all forced to miss out.  There was minor relief with the return of Joe Shaw from a hamstring injury into the West midfield.


Despite the depleted line up West started brightly as a nice ball over the top just two minutes in released Jonny Poizer and the West forward forced a strong stop from 1874 goalkeeper Greg Hall with a first time effort.  1874 responded six minutes later as an effort flashed wide of the post from the edge of the penalty area.


West continued to threaten and on 16 minutes Hall was called into another save at his near post, again from Poizer, after Ash and Ben Woods had done well to win back possession.  A minute later Ben Woods went close with an effort of his own as he cut inside from the left and rolled a right footed effort past the post.  On 21 minutes West’s best chance fell to Ash Woods as Hall was forced to push his effort away from goal as the West striker struck a hard effort across goal.


On 35 minutes Poizer went close for a third time as a wonderful through pass from Shaw released him at the edge of the area and Hall was again called upon to push a stinging effort over the bar.


The game’s turning point came five minutes before half time as 1874 Northwich were awarded a free kick in their own half which saw Shaw and 1874’s Sam Hind put their heads together.  The referee opted to show both men a red card for their part in the act. Moment’s later 1874 Northwich manager was forced to watch the remainder of the game from the side-line as he was dismissed from the technical area showing his obvious displeasure to the referee’s decision. The two sides went into the break with the home side having had the better of the chances.


1874 came out for the second half the quicker of the two sides in the second half and called Hayden Buckley-Smith into his first save on 50 minutes when a free kick was fired straight into his hands.  A minute later a free header at the far post again called Hayden into action as he saved again.


From that point there was very little goal mouth action from either side as 1874 dominated possession without creating much in the way of chances however an effort did flash wide of the post on 79 minutes after a quick counter attack. With a minute remaining Hayden made a save with the best effort of the match, making a big block at the near post after a turn and shot from Tom Bailey.


However, West were to be denied a valiant point in the second minute of stoppage time as 1874 were awarded a free kick at the edge of the area and Rick Bailey’s effort sailed over Hayden and nestled inside the far corner to hand the visitors a vital win in a game that was spoiled by the referee’s decision to issue two red cards.