Macron Cup 
01/10/2016, 15:00
1 - 3
Barnoldswick Town
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 157
First Team

Match Report

West crashed out of their second cup competition in the space of eight days with defeat at home to Barnoldswick Town in the 1st round of the Macron Cup. With a place in the round of 32 at stake and a potential final at Fleetwood Town up for grabs manager Steve Settle made three changes from Tuesday’s mid-week win at Radcliffe Borough as he recalled Richmond Botchey, Joe Shaw and Ash Woods to the starting eleven.


The game failed to ignite early on as both sides were cagey in the opening and it was the visitors who made the early inroads with Mark Threlfall and Harry Thompson both going close in the opening quarter of an hour. Such was the slow start from the home side West’s first chance resulted in the goal as Ben Woods raced onto a through ball, beat the keeper to it, coolly rounded him and slotted home for his 5th goal of the season on 27 minutes.


West almost doubled their lead on 36 minutes as a through ball by Shaw was deflected into the path of Ash Woods but the West striker dragged his shot wide.  Moments later Barnoldswick Town were level as Zack Dale robbed Mohammed Noor of possession at the edge of the area and slotted it into the bottom right hand corner beyond the helpless Dean Williams.


They setback sparked West into life and they finished the half strongly as Ben Woods skipped past two Barnoldswick defenders and forced goalkeeper Cross into a strong save at his near post to keep the scores level at half time.


Whatever Settle said to the players at half time had the galvanising effect it was intended as West created another chance immediately after half time when Ben Woods hard struck goalbound effort was brilliantly deflected wide.


On 55 minutes Rob Black released substitute Ben Steer down the right and his early cross found Ash Woods who turn his shot just round the post. Two minutes later the same move found Black this time on the right hand side but his low cross was superbly cleared at the near post with Ash Woods again waiting to capitalise.  The same move almost opened up Barnoldswick again on 64 minutes as again the Barlick defence was called into action by Ben Steer after a superb cross field past from Shaw.


Barnoldswick Town responded themselves and on 76 minutes Williams was called into action to make a superb block at his near post after a shot on the turn.  From the resulting corner the visitors  took the lead as the corner was flicked on to the far post and turned home by Mark Threlfall.


West responded by throwing players forward and almost levelled in stoppage time when Martyn Andrews clipped the underside of the crossbar with a header from a corner and despite a huge shout for handball on the line Barlick survived.  From the clearance they made the game safe as John Beckwith capitalised on a Williams error allowing himself to roll the ball into an empty net.