NWCFL Premier Division 
02/09/2016, 19:45
0 - 6
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 223
First Team

Match Report

West enjoyed a stellar return to Friday night football with a 6-0 win away to top of the table Irlam at Silver Street.


West manager Steve Settle made two changes from the side that lost at home to Bootle in mid-week as Dean Williams and Matty Kay returned to the starting line up in place of Hayden Buckley-Smith and Ben Steer.  There was a reshuffle at the back as Martyn Andrews dropped into defence, Scott Mason moved to right back as Lee Gavin was restored to the midfield.


West started brightly as Ash Woods chased down the Irlam goalkeeper Lee White blocking his clearance for a throw in just two minutes in.  The first goal came after just five minutes as a superb Scott Mason cross from the right hand side was knocked down by Jonny Poizer and poked into the bottom left hand corner by Woods inside the six yard box.


The goal galvanised West as more good play from Mason on the right found Woods who fired his shot into the side netting at the near post.  Woods went close again from a Matty Kay corner on 15 minutes but his goal bound effort was blocked.  On 23 minutes Woods went through one-on-one but, stretching, his shot was blocked. Two minutes later Woods again went through one-on-one but he rolled his shot past White and the right hand post.


A minute later West doubled their lead as Lee Gavin played a superb through pass inside the fullback releasing Scott Mason into the penalty area but the fullback was hauled down from behind.  Up stepped Matty Kay to send the Irlam goalkeeper the wrong way.


It was 3-0 on 37 minutes as West were awarded a free kick just inside the Irlam half; Joe Shaw reacted quickest chipping the helpless Irlam goalkeeper from 40 yards with a superb lob.  West didn’t relent and Rick Gleave almost made it four on 39 minutes curling a shot just wide of the post from a corner. On 41 minutes Poizer was released down the left and forced a good block from White in the Irlam goal as West took a commanding lead into half time.


It took just five minutes of the second half for West to extend their lead as Gavin again played a pass to Mason down the right whose first time cross found Poizer in the middle allowing the young striker to poke home from two yards out.


West continued to press as Matty Kay dragged a low left footed shot from the edge of the area just wide.  Ben Woods replaced Lee Gavin and announced himself immediately with a great run down the left pulling his low cross back from the touchline but the first time effort was fired over.


Just after the hour mark Irlam created their best chance of the game to date as they clattered the top of the crossbar with a 20 yard shot.  Irlam continued to find their way back into a game as Williams was forced to save again from a header from an Irlam corner.


The fifth West goal came on 69 minutes as a wonderful cross from Ash Woods on the right found Ben Woods at the edge of the area and he volleyed his first West goal into the bottom right hand corner. A minute later it was six as Poizer added his second with the goal of the night; Ben Woods crossed from the left and Poizer volleyed into the top left hand corner with a superb scissor kick.


The last 20 minutes saw West rang the changes with both Settle and Head Coach Steve Brockley entering the field of play.  To their credit Irlam refused to give up and continued to fight for a late consolation with their best effort forcing Williams into a good save at his near post with five minutes remaining.  Irlam went close late on with a long rang volley but it flashed just wide and West secured their biggest ever away win in the NWCFL.