MATCH REPORT | 1874 Northwich 33 West

MATCH REPORT | 1874 Northwich 33 West

21 Aug 2017

MATCH REPORT | 1874 Northwich 3-3 West

Photo by Molly Darlington

West’s name will be in the hat for the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Cup on Monday albeit after they surrendered a two goal lead in the final five minutes away to 1874 Northwich.

West were without the suspended pair of Mark Rogers and Daryl Weston whilst Michael Simcock was away but were boosted by the timely return of Jimmy Woodward and Harry Hagon from injury who were able to take their places on the bench.

The game was just three minutes old when West created the game’s first chance as Nic Evangelinos did well to latch onto a flick on but he fired his effort into the hands of the 1874 goalkeeper Greg Hall.  1874 responded with an effort of their own on eight minutes when Taylor Kennerley fired wide of the post from the edge of the penalty area.  Two minutes later Scott McGowan saw an effort comfortably saved by Aaron Ashley in the West goal.

West took the lead on 17 minutes when they were awarded a free kick at the edge of the area after Evangelinos had been chopped down by Jack Pritchard. Evangelinos himself stepped up and curled the effort over the wall and into the bottom left hand corner.

Moments later West were temporarily reduced to 10 men as Anthony Potts was forced from the field with a huge cut to his forehead following an elbow to the face. 1874 were unable to take full advantage of their numerical advantage as Sam Hind saw an effort blocked with Ashley saving the rebound.

On 23 minutes West went close again as a flick on from Tom Bailey into the path of Evangelinos was laid off to Matty Kay who fired a left footed first time effort just over the bar. On 27 minutes 1874’s best chance of the first half came as Danny Meadowcroft headed over the bar from a corner unmarked.

West doubled their lead on the half hour mark as a long throw from Josh Tinker was flicked on by the head of an 1874 player and Tom Bailey volleyed beyond Hall into the 1874 goal from 6 yards out. West stepped up a gear in the final minutes before half time with Evangelinos heading a difficult chance just over after a superb cross from Richmond Botchey on 34 minutes before Tinker saw his effort tipped round the post having taken on his marker from Hall but incredulously the flag went up for offside.

The second half was 10 minutes old before a chance of note with West again forced down to 10 men as Potts seeked additional treatment for his cut to the head in the early stages. However a terrific counter from West saw Evangelinos drive the ball forward, finding Bailey who laid it off to Kay but he could only force Hall into a low save.  A minute later the home side pulled one back as the ball was punted long, Tinker missing his header and despite Aaron Ashley saving at his near post Sam Hind stuck in the rebound.

Three minutes later an 1874 corner almost went straight into the net only to be denied when Scott McGowan bicycle kicked the ball into his own face and sending the ball over the bar. On 64 minutes Evangelinos went close again as his close range effort rocketed off the top of the crossbar with the goalkeeper well beaten.

West were awarded a penalty on 74 minutes when Evangelinos was clattered into just inside the penalty area. Matty Kay coolly stepped up and snet the goalkeeper the wrong way with his penalty.

1874 pulled a goal back in the 85th minute when substitute Kyle Riley fired in a low effort from a narrow angle after West had conceded possession in their own half.  On the 90th minute West Saul Henderson went one-on-one with Hall only to be flagged for offside despite being in his own half; the West forward was subsequently booked as home goalkeeper looked to pick a fight with him.

From the resulting free kick, 1874 were awarded an even softer one inside West’s half. The free kick was fired straight at Ashley in the West goal but he spilled it and Jack Pritchard poked it home to get the home side out of jail. The goal was virtually the last kick of the game as the referee blew up moments later.

The replay will take place on Tuesday night at Brookburn Road, 7:45pm KO.

️️️ Here's West's 3 goals from Saturday's draw at @1874northwich. Replay is tomorrow night, 7.45pm.

A post shared by West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC (@wd_cfc) on