Manchester Premier Cup 
07/02/2017, 19:45
FC United of Manchester
7 - 1
West Didsbury & Chorlton
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 708
First Team

Match Report

West made two changes to the side as Dean Williams and Carlos Mendes Gomes were restored to the starting line up in place of the both cup tied Saul Lomax-Newton and Saul Henderson.  They were dealt a further blow moments before kick off as Nia Bayunu was forced out of the game and replaced with Jordan Poole as West reshuffled Mark Rogers into the back four.


West fell behind to the very first attempt of the game as FC United captain Jerome Wright was afforded too much time and space on the left hand side before unleashing an unstoppable cross to Jason Gilchrist at the far post who couldn’t miss, heading home unmarked after just 7 minutes.


However West were level on 12 minutes when Matty Kay was afforded too much space at the edge of United penalty area and drilled an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner to send the visiting West fans into raptures.


FC United re-took the lead on 17 minutes when a quick throw in found Gilchrist in acres of space and he drilled a hard shot into the bottom left hand corner with Dean Williams in the West goal having no chance.


It was almost calamity on 22 minutes as a cross from the right found the head of Gilchrist but it fell through the hands of Williams but fortunately out for a corner.  The mistake was punished a minute later where despite clearing the initial corner Chris Chantler found Gilchrist with a low cross six yards out who finished first time to complete a 14 minute hat-trick.


It was 4-1 on 30 minutes when a good FC United move found the centre forward at the edge of the area, a quick lay off found Tom Brown in space who finished superbly with a drilled effort from 20 yards inside the far post.


West came close to pulling a goal back on 35 minutes when Mason did superbly on the right pulling his cross back to Gleave who, with his back to goal, rolled his back heel just wide of the post with the keeper beaten.


FC United came close to extending their lead on 38 minutes when a lay off in the box found Chantler unmarked but Williams stuck out a league to deny the former Manchester City player.


West make have pulled one back late on in the first half as Evangelinos saw an effort block by his own man after a superb first time touch from Gleave before Poole volleyed wide from 30 yards but they couldn’t reduce the three goal deficit going into half time.


There were several changes at half time as West replaced Carlos Mendes Gomes with Ben Steer and FC United replaced hat-trick hero Jason Gilchrist and George Thomson with Tom Greaves and Matthew Wolfenden.  It was West who created the first chance of the half as a corner was only cleared as far as Mark Rogers and his left footed effort forced Adriano Basso into a diving save low to his left.


Greaves should have added FC United’s fifth when he went through one-on-one but dragged his shot wide with time and space around him.  West went close again first through Joe Shaw whose overhead kick gratefully fell into the hands of Basso before he was again called into action to save from Gleave after he was played through.


West went close again on 64 minutes when a superb cross from the right hand side found the outstretched boot of Gleave but he couldn’t direct his effort towards goal. It was Basso who came to United’s rescue twice in quick succession on 70 minutes as first he denied Evangelinos with a superb block one-on-one before tipping Kay’s rebound from 20 yards out onto the bar with an outrageous save.  A minute later he pulled off arguably the save of the season as he turned a bullet header onto the bar from the resulting corner.


West created another superb effort on 77 minutes when Ben Woods did well to take the ball off Wolfenden, finding Kay with an excellent pass who in turn released Steer with a superb pass before he drifted past two and forced Basso into another great save.


United when close again on 79 minute when Wright burst down the right, lifting his effort over Williams with McGrath doing superbly to clear off the line before the linesman flag was raised.  FC United added their fifth on 81 minutes when a superb cross from the left found by Kieran Glynn Wolfenden at the far post and he headed home.  Wolfenden added the sixth moments later; this time a low cross from Glynn allowing him to tap home on the line.


Wolfenden completed his hat-trick in the 90th minute to make it seven, a harsh scoreline for West, rounding Williams having gone through one-on-one.  However the travelling supporters gave West a rousing reception as they came off the pitch in a game in which they gave their all from first minute to last.