NWCFL Premier Division 
05/11/2016, 15:00
West Didsbury & Chorlton
2 - 5
Ashton Athletic
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 168
First Team

Match Report

Four goals in the last nine minutes saw West collapse to a 5-2 defeat at home to Ashton Athletic.


A bright autumn’s day


It was West who started the quicker of two teams as Rob Black forced an early save from Ashton Athletic goalkeeper Martin Pearson.  On 12 minutes a Matty Kay corner was swung in towards Anthony Potts but he couldn’t direct his header on goal. There was an early blow for West as Ben Woods was forced out of the game due to a groin injury; replaced by Steve Brockley.


On 23 minutes Black did brilliantly to ghost round defender Brian Hatton into the penalty area, pulling his low cross back to Kay but he couldn’t direct his effort towards goal.  West took the lead on 29 minutes when Black did well down the left, his low cross reaching the near post and Carlos Mendes Gomes’ diving header deceived Pearson and rolled into the bottom right hand corner from the near post.


West stepped up a gear as Mendes Gomes almost made it 2-0 as he beat the offside trap but rolled his shot wide of the post. West pressed for a second as Jordan Poole had a goal bound effort blocked from 25 yards out before Kay had a header flicked just wide of the post from an Ash Woods cross.


West doubled their lead in first half stoppage time as Ash Woods burst down the right hand side and fired his effort past Pearson inside the near post to give West a deserved half 2-0 lead.


Matty Kay almost made it 3-0 two minutes into the second half as he attempted to lob the keeper from the edge of the penalty area but his effort just cleared the crossbar.


Ashton pulled a goal back on 58 minutes when Stephen Kay headed home at the far post from a corner.  Six minutes later Ashton almost levelled from the same move but this time it was headed over.  West responded and Mendes Gomes had an effort superbly blocked after a lay off from Ash Woods.


The games turning point came on 68 minutes when Mendes Gomes released Kay one-on-one with a superb through ball however Kay tried to round the keeper but Pearson blocked brilliantly before Ash Woods fired the loose ball round the post.


Ashton grew into the game and had an effort cleared off the line from a corner on 68 minutes.  Ashton levelled on 82 minutes following a lay off at the edge of the area allowing Matty Reid to drill into the bottom corner.


Two minutes later Ashton took the lead when Adam Gilchrist looping header from a loose ball beat Botchey inside the left hand post.  West almost levelled immediately as Ash Woods drove down the right hand side, pulled his pass back to substitute Saul Henderson who pulled his shot just wide of the post.


A minute later Ashton doubled their lead as Gilchrist added their fourth drilling it into the bottom corner before completing his hat-trick in stoppage time firing past Williams one-on one to hand Ashton all three points.