NWCFL Premier Division 
17/09/2016, 15:00
West Didsbury & Chorlton
4 - 1
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 155
First Team

Match Report

West registered back to back wins in the league thanks to a 4-1 home win in their first ever meeting against Barnton.


With West’s injuries refusing to abate West manager Steve Settle was forced into two changes as handed Daniel Clarke his first team debut, who stepped up from the reserves, at centre back, whilst Lee Gavin returned to the starting line up, at right back in place of Paul Socha.


West’s first chance of the game came on nine minutes when a superb cross from Ben Steer on the right found Matty Kay at the far post and he forced Matthew Conkie in the Barnton goal into a save low down to his right.  Two minutes later Ash Woods was released down the left after some good West passing but Rick Gleave could only fire over from his first time effort.  West goalkeeper Hayden Buckley-Smith was called into action for the first time on 14 minutes to save at his near post after West surrendered possession on the right hand side inside their own half.


On 21 minutes Kay almost handed West a freak lead as his whipped in corner almost snuck in at the far post only for it to be cleared off the line from the boot of a Barnton defender.  Barnton, defied their recent form and continued to trouble West as Buckley-Smith was again called into action to save at the far post from a header after a Barnton free kick across the penalty area.  West grew into the game and on 26 minutes a superb pass from Ash Woods at the edge of the penalty area, his hold up play allowed him to play in Gleave on the left whose cross found Woods again inside the penalty area but the West striker fired just wide of the post.


The deadlock was broken on 29 minutes when good work from Ash Woods down the left after a through pass from Matty Kay saw his low cross find Joe Shaw inside the six yard box and he flicked it into the bottom right hand corner to give West the lead.


It was 2-0 on 36 minutes when Ben Steer added his second goal of the season as he evaded his marker with a deft first touch and drilled an unstoppable effort into the bottom left hand corner off the inside of the post.  The goal handed West a slightly flattering two goal lead at the break


West almost made it 3-0 on 53 minutes as a quick Steer through found Gleave who did superbly to chest it into the path of Ash Woods whose first time volley was superbly saved by Conkie.  The miss would prove costly as a minute later Barnton were back in the game after a defensive mis-communication between Buckley-Smith and Clarke allowing Chris Smith to tap home from 2 yards out. West almost earned an instant reply as another Steer cross was taken off the foot of a waiting Gleave by a great clearance at the far post.


West stepped up their pressure as Ash Woods jinxed through the defence but saw his goal bound effort deflected away from goal by the Barnton captain via his midriff on 56 minutes.  Five minutes later Ash Woods went close again as he fired wide from a narrow angle with two men unmarked in the middle. The misses were almost punished in the biggest way possible as a good Barnton move down the left saw a superb cross evade everyone bar Chris Smith; however the Barnton forward could only lift his header just over the bar. Gleave responded with a chance of his own, forcing Conkie into pushing away a hard shot from the edge of the area into the path of Ash Woods; however the forward couldn’t direct it towards an empty net.


With just eight minutes remaining West put the game beyond doubt as a superb free kick from Joe Shaw was whipped into the box and Ash Woods rose highest to power a header past Conkie in the Barnton goal. The game was put beyond doubt in the 89th minute as a free kick from the exact same spot, again by Shaw, was missed by Conkie and Clarke managed to scramble it over the line.