NWCFL Premier Division 
06/09/2016, 15:00
West Didsbury & Chorlton
4 - 1
Runcorn Town
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 125
First Team

Match Report

West moved into second place in the table with an impressive 4-1 win at home to high flying Runcorn Town.


West manager Steve Settle was able to name an unchanged side to the one that had won 6-0 at league leaders Irlam on Friday night but was boosted by the returns of Mark Rogers and Ben Steer to the bench. Runcorn Town were entering the game on the back of a 1-0 win away to New Mills at the weekend which had lifted them above West in the table.


West started brightly and after just three minutes were almost ahead when Lee Gavin won the ball in midfield, his through pass playing in Woods on the left and his low cross was almost turned in by Rick Gleave only to be denied by a superb block from the Runcorn Town centre back.  Five minutes later Gavin was involved in the action again as he collected the ball at the edge of the penalty area but despite being taken down from behind was still able to force the Runcorn goalkeeper Ciaran D’Loughlin into a smart save low to his left.  West continued to press as Richmond Botchey found Matty Kay at the edge of the area after a run through the middle, Kay almost played in Shaw with his first time pass but Kay recovered to force a strong save from D’Loughlin from the edge of the area.


West continued to press as Jonny Poizer forced a great save from D’Loughlin low down to his right from a driven free kick from 30 yards out after 23 minutes. A minute later Runcorn demonstrated their attacking capabilities as they broke down the right, the ball was cut inside to Craig Cairns whose layoff found Thelwell but the Town forward shot over first time.


The deadlock was broken on 31 minutes after a fine passing move ended with Botchey back heeling inside the Runcorn penalty area to release Matty Kay whose first time cross found Rick Gleave at the far post to fire home for his third goal of the season.  Two minutes later it was 2-0 as Ash Woods drilled a long range effort into the bottom left hand corner from 20 yards out for his second goal in as many games.


West didn’t ease off and the half came to a close after some terrific West passing saw Gleave lay off a pass inside to Scott Mason but he could only hit the side netting as he drove into the box.


After a furious paced first half, the second saw both teams take a little time to find their rhythm but it didn’t prevent West from creating early chances as Kay headed a difficult chance wide from a Woods shot turned cross on 48minutes before Kay forced D’Loughlin into a strong parry two minutes later.


The third arrived on the hour mark as Matty Kay found himself on the receiving end of a brash challenge at the edge of the area, the West forward kept his composure to stay on his feet but his low rolling effort deceived the goalkeeper allowing it to roll into the bottom left hand corner.


Three minutes later it was 4-0 as Woods was brought down thanks to a late challenge by Joseph Holt on Ash Woods on the right hand side. Mason whipped in a perfect cross and it was met with a thunderous header from Joe Shaw that the keeper couldn’t prevent from crossing the line.


On 72 minutes Runcorn Town pulled a goal back after a long clearance down the middle, the ball evaded Andrews, not helped by a nudge in the back, allowing Cairns to volley home from 20 yards out with Dean Williams in the West goal given no chance.


Looking for a way back into the game Runcorn Town went route one with their best chance coming eight minutes from time when they headed wide unmarked from a corner. To their credit the visitors pushed West until the full time whistle however West weren’t to be denied and were deservedly clapped off by the West support at the full time whistle.