NWCFL Premier Division 
16/08/2016, 19:45
West Didsbury & Chorlton
1 - 0
Brookburn Road
Attendance: 102
First Team

Match Report

West secured their first league win of the season thanks to a ninth minute Matty Kay strike to see of a stubborn Nelson side at the Recreation Ground.  Following Saturday’s 2-2 draw away to last season’s runners up Runcorn Linnets West manager Steve Settle was able to name an unnamed starting XI but was boosted by the returns of Rick Gleave and Lee Gavin to the bench.


Both teams started brightly and it was the visitors who put West under early pressure through forward Patrick O’Brien.  West’s first chance came on 11 minutes as Jonny Poizer headed a superbly whipped in free kick from Matty Kay.


Nelson responded just two minutes later as Hayden Buckley-Smith was the first keeper called into action as he was forced to push a near post effort from  O’Brien round the post after the Nelson striker had broken the offside trap.  West went close again as a quick counter saw several quick touches find the ball into the path of Ash Woods but he volleyed just over after a good move.


However the first half was a tight affair of few chances and it was 37 minutes before another chance fell to either side as Buckley-Smith was again called into action as he comfortably held a long range curled effort.  The half time whistle sounded with little in the way of goal mouth action for either side.


Just six minutes after the restart O’Brien went close again for Nelson curling another long range effort over the bar.  The deadlock was broken on 54 minutes as Richmond Botchey delivered a superb whipped in cross from the right hand side; the ball found its way to Matty Kay at the far post who cut back across his marker and fired an unstoppable rocket into the roof of the net. It was a superb strike from the West forward who would later be awarded man of the match.


Nelson responded with a chance of theirown just after the hour mark when they headed over from a deep free kick from the right.  With 13 minutes remaining Joe Shaw almost doubled West’s lead as he weaved through the defence, at one point dragging the ball from behind him before rolling his shot inches wide of the foot of the post.


In the final minute of the game Nelson were reduced to 10 men as Nelson’s full back was dismissed for throwing the ball at the home dugout.  That was the last action as West secured their first three points of the season.